Saturday, October 27, 2007

This week

A little bird (or a certain pilot) told me that longer posts are preferred to the short ones about what didn't happen (if you don't remember, it didn't happen) on AU Wednesdays. So I will oblige!

Thursday was mostly a recover-from-Wednesday day. Went to UGM (I think it stands for Uni General Meeting), which was amusing. Student politicians really take themselves far too seriously. Apparently members of the AU have agreed with me on that count for a long time and have a habit of tossing newspapers down at the speakers when things get boring or someone does something stupid. It's a good place to socialize, and it forced me to get out of bed, so that was good. After that, I went to statistics - what an incredible waste of time. Please, spend another hour describing to me what the "mean" is, and then mathematically explaining how one gets the "average" (which is just another word for "mean" if you happened to miss that in 2nd grade math class). Andy took me out for pizza (would probably starve without Andy) and then we went to see Rendition - good flick, I liked it, but then again, I'm no critic.

Friday I had two classes in the morning. I don't like my TA for MC408 - I didn't find him very helpful in the conversation. After that was SPSS class (need I say again? waste of my time). Went to lunch with Charlie and Cait, which was definitely good fun. Went to the library, then came back and SAT IN MY ROOM. Which was GLORIOUS. I met up with Andy for dinner (there's a theme here); we had Greek. It was good. I, again, did not starve. Then we watched Fever Pitch to relive the magic and prepare for the impending magic! ;)

Today's walk wasn't too exciting. I walked down to Borough Market, got free food and paid for a gyro. I love how I live so close by! It's hard to get good pictures because it's packed with people, but here's one so you get the general idea:
I walked over London Bridge and sort of did a really long swing around back to St. Paul's. One interesting picture I took was an ardent and obvious show of patriotism. See, the English don't (can't?) rally around their flag like we do in the US because the flag was co-opted by a very conservative political party, so if one were to fly the flag one could be understood to be a racist (or a variety of other -ists). So, here's a dramatic display:

From St Paul's I walked down to Blackfriar's, then down Embankment, blah blah, not that exciting. I got a new cell phone! The pay-as-you-go was giving me trouble, and overall, it's a lot cheaper to get a plan, so I did. I'm now on Orange and have a different mobile number. If you want it, it's on facebook. If you aren't on facebook and need it, email me. The phone is shiny and purple and lovely (and free!). And I got a 150 quid discount for turning in the last phone, so all in all, it worked out quite well (despite waiting at the store for 45 minutes to get everything sorted). After that, I just came home; it was drizzly and I just need to decompress from a lot of socializing and nonwork.

Tonight I'm meeting a couple of people at The Sports Cafe for Game 3! After the game, I'm coming home to sleep. Then getting up, meeting Rich&girl and Andy for brunch, then onto the American Football game, and then Game 4. In otherwords, it's going to be a ROUGH 36 hours, but awesome... especially if we win! GO SOX!

The view from Waterloo Bridge on my way home...

No comments: