Sunday, October 14, 2007

Rugby!

This will be short because I have finally decided to listen to my body and stay in bed. All day. Because my body is mad, mad, mad at me for all the abuse I put it through this week (read: little sleep, lots of exercise and alcohol). That, and I have a lot of reading to do. Actually, I've done most of it, but whatever. I can still sleep if I want to.

Yesterday was my first true introduction to rugby! The LSE team played against Queen Mary's yesterday, so I have now officially played in a game. I have been given the position of second row forward which, according to Mark and Russell, deserves a knowing and forboding exclamation of "aha!" followed by a snide giggle. Essentially, it seems, I am one of the workhorses of the team. While watching the English match last night (more on this to follow), Russell would exlaim, gleefully, "there's you! under that pile with your head in the mud!" The girls said I played well and I think for my first game, I would have to agree wtih them! Anyway, I think I will enjoy it greatly once I understand the flow of the game better, and the rules. In addition to my excitement at doing something new (and very English!), I am very happy to be back on a team. The girls seem really nice and it will be a lot of fun.

ENGLAND IS IN THE RUGBY WORLD CUP FINAL!!! Last night they played France (haha!) and won. While I don't pretend to understand the game well, I definitely enjoyed watching it. And I'm sorry to say, the English are right about one thing: American footballers really are pussies in comparison. Rugby players play harder, longer, more continuously and rougher than American footballers, and they don't need a helmet and pads to get them through the game. I'm very excited to learn more about the game. As a side note, Johnny Wilkinson is hot.



I went to a party for Russell and Chrissy's birthday last night. It was fancy dress, but I didn't dress up because I didn't know how far (or not) to take the dressing up. I met some really cool people, and a few who know Mark, which was fun. A few were very interested in my American-ness, and what "things are like in America." I was more than happy to oblige until someone threatened the credibility of the World Series, pointing out that no one else in the world cares, so... it shouldn't be the World Series (fair point, but still!). I actually talked politics with one guy named John and he commented that Americans really seem to care and be informed of their political systems. I was a little surprised because that's not exactly my experience with my fellow countrymen, but he points out that there is a true convergence of parties here and that leads to public apathy. Recurring theme of mockery and inquisition were America's fatness, the ridiculousness of American football and why American girls love English guys (an answer I refuse to reveal, no need to give them a leg up on us). Twas a fun night.

Classes pick up this week, and I am very much looking forward to it. Other things on the agenda are an Arsenal game this weekend (I haven't told anyone that I root for the Spurs), a rugby game against Kings College on Wednesday, an AU fancy dress party on Wednesday night, and the Rugby World Cup Final on Saturday night.

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

sounds like a whirlwind time in England - you sure you even have time for lowly visitors? :)

AJ said...

I'm so jealous - sounds like you are really living over there. You also make me wants to study rugby... and the rugby players. :)