Sunday, October 7, 2007

London Markets



This weekend I spent exploring a couple London markets with Sherry. On Saturday we went to Portobello Market, which has clothes (both new and vintage), antiques, food and housewares. It was HUGE! I tried on a bunch of clothes, lusted after some old cameras and had some falafel. Overall, it was a day AND I managed to get away without buying anything. There's a victory if I ever heard one. I also saw the S&M Cafe, which I have heard about from Mark from literally Day 1. He made Melissa and me sausages and mash at Melissa's apartment and he proceeded (in his long winded fashion) to tell us all about this great place and (this is where my eyes glaze over and I stop listening) I should go. I've now promised to wait to go there until he gets here. However, if he takes too long, I might have to go on my own anyway.

Today Sherry took me to the markets at Camden Lock. On the way there we walked over Primrose Hill and there was an incredible view. While it was a bit cloudy (this is London), you could see most everything. I plan on going back on a bright sunny day (so, next spring!) to see the view properly. When we arrived at the markets, I swear, my inner 15 year old was just jumping for joy. Vintage clothes, colorful clothes, all very much my kind of thing. Stores and carts and stalls full of wonderful things. While there were many a thing I wanted to buy, I managed to get away with only a jean skirt for 10 pounds. Not too bad!

Other things I did this weekend included going to see the play that Sherry's theater is putting on right now, called "Life After Scandal." It was about the lives of politicians after a huge media frenzy scandal, taken verbatim from interviews done with the writer. All the stories were interwoven and it was incredibly interesting. Ties in well with media and politics, I'll say - a good way to break my mind into the course!

And lastly, London is now officially home as I finally went for a run. Only about 5 miles but it was up and down the river and it was perfect. It's about 55 degrees and a clear night.

Now, one more inning...ALCS, here we come.

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

Boy Laura - your descriptions make me feel like I am there! I think it is funny how you are already using Engligh words to describe things - should I call you Madonna? :) Take note of all the cool things because when I come visit you'll have to take me around!