Tuesday, October 9, 2007

School is not out for summer OR forever, after all.

So, yes. The reality has finally struck me that I have indeed begun yet another master's program. While I think London is undoubtedly an excellent idea, I'm yet to be sold on more school. Yesterday was my first day of class. I started out with Citizenship and the Media which is going to be, without a doubt, f-ing awesome. The prof seems very cool and the topic is great. I'm very excited about it. After that we had Research Methods. I will spare you the ten minutes of swearing that comes to mind whenever I remember that I have to take a THIRD methods class in as many years.

Today I had Democracy and the Media, which is a required course for PolComms. It's impossible to tell whether the class will be good. The prof is very nice, but we didn't cover any course material today. Later I had MC408 which is the basic theories course - it's a huge lecture class with all the Media kids plus some sociology stragglers. It has a variety of professors and promises to be... thorough.

Every other week we have to attend a Media Seminar where various speakers come in and talk about... various things. Today we had the editor of the Times. He was interesting, but as a) I'm a liberal and therefore don't read the Times and b) I'm not heavy into the journalism side of my field, I wasn't totally riveted. He had some interesting things to say about the effects of competition and enlightened me to some of the differences between Brit and American media systems.

In other news, I'm sick. Fever, congestion, muscle aches. You name it, I got it. Maybe drinking last night wasn't the best plan, but... when in Rome...

No comments: