Wednesday, November 21, 2007

LSE Grievances

The last couple of days have been hideously wet, rainy and dark. Though I really shouldn't complain as we haven't had much more than light drizzling and the odd 15 minutes of torrential rain since my arrival in September. Today, however, is bright sunshine! And warm, which is a nice change of pace.

I'm starting to get frustrated with my program. I spend more time in methods/statistics (which together count as one half unit = one class) than I do in any of the classes related to Politics and/or Communication. It seems silly as a) I've taken statistics, b) I know SPSS, c) I've taken two methods courses in as many years, d) we don't get testsed on the information until June by which time I promise I will have forgotten much of what they cover in these classes. Every time Cait and I walk into Methods or Stats we ask each other, "why are we here?" We inevitably leave statistics early - it's all in the book anyway, and we just giggle at the ridiculousness of the methods class and don't take notes (all the notes are online anyway... why go?!).

Another problem with the program is the amount of overlap in my classes. While it's good that I feel like I'm getting a REALLY thorough grounding in Habermas, I feel like they should branch out. As MC408 is required for everyone, don't cover Habermas in all the other classes - we've read him! I'd rather spend more time on new and different ideas - isn't that what I'm here for?

Also, my seminars are useless. We either go around the room and talk about the various media or policy systems (public broadcasting, freedom of speech, etc) in our respective countries (which to be fair, I could look up on the internet) or are led in a discussion by a PhD student who doesn't know anything. My MC417 (Communication and Democracy) seminar is great because Maggie Scammell is a legend and all the students are PolComms, so we all know each other and things can get a little more heated, because there's a mutual sense of understanding.

Also, I finally got my mini-essay back. I got a 62, which is a merit, which is good. (Pass = 50-59, Merit = 60-69, Distinction = 70+, very rare). The problem, I suppose, is that I only put 75% effort into this paper. So, assuming I put 100% in (which I would on an essay that counts), I'm really far ahead of the curve. I guess I'm just looking for challenge and I thought I would find it here at LSE.

In happier news, Andy moved into his new flat which means I get to watch TV and cook. In EVEN BETTER news, Marky arrives today! I'm very excited, he gets in at about 3:45 which is right when my rugby match should end. Yay!

No comments: