Monday, November 26, 2007

Expat Thanksgiving and more

Ah, Thanksgiving. Nothing like the pain of a massively expanding stomach to celebrate the introduction of corn into our diet. Mark and I went up to Sherry and Ryan's in Kilburn where we had a fairly quiet but excellent celebration. Sherry cooked up a storm - we had chicken (turkey was too much for too few, and she wouldn't have been able to cook anything else), potatoes, green beans, corn, apple crumble, ice cream. I'm sure I'm missing some things, but overall, it was excellent. After that we watched "Flushed Away," a Pixar-esque movie about rats in the London sewers. Hilarious. Lots of French bashing (what more could you ask for?). Before that, on Thursday afternoon, we walked down to a place called Seven Dials, where I hadn't been and went to a cute cafe, etc. etc. Mostly telling you this so I can post pictures:
Two of the Seven Dials

Very Mediterranean side street with cute cafes and organic people



On Friday, I went to class and was bored. That afternoon we headed down to Richmond to see Mark's uni friend Phin. We walked through the town and down to the river and got some hot chocolate. It was very pretty, nice to get out of urban London, and Phin seems like a nice guy (read: hot). Friday night we met up with Andy for dinner at Wagamama. Saturday we went to Borough Market, Portobello Road and Camden Market. I bought a pashmina scarf and a skirt - sweet! We also went to the S&M (Sausages and Mash) Cafe, which is one of the first places Mark ever told me about when we met last year.
Our teacup creation at S&M Cafe



Saturday night we went out to dinner with Andy and Vanita in Bermondsey. Good stuff. Sunday I had rugby. It took - no joke - three hours to get to the pitch. And then we lost - unjustifiably. We deserved to win. We had a bit of a mix-up with one of our trys, and I missed a couple of conversions, so we lost by 2. But we played well and I enjoyed it. Mark, Phin and their friend Jay came all the way out to watch, which was very nice of them! Especially considering how far out the match was. After I finally met Mark's friend Peele, who I have heard a lot about, but I was too tired to be charming or animated, so I came home a bit early. Walked by St. Paul's and took cool pictures... Mark leaves this morning, which means back to business as usual. DVB arrives next Sunday, so I have about six days to get a lot of work done... AH!

No comments: