Sunday, March 9, 2008

Absolute rubbish, I know.

OKAY, it's come to my attention that I need to update my blog (as though I didn't know this already). I've just lacked motivation in about every corner of my life so you can imagine that the blog is lower on the list than say, the gym (always #1), papers (more to come on this), other school work, and general life functioning! But as of yesterday, my room is clean. I have already been to the gym today and done some school work. So I will give an abbreviated version of recent events.


Museums

I finally wandered into the Tate Modern and actually saw an exhibit on Dadaism that featured work from Duchamp, Man Ray and Picabia. I reiterate the fact that I really don't get modern art. I can say I could have passed on a lot of the stuff in the exhibit, but I did enjoy some of the layered, photograph-esque paintings that were featured at one point. And I can say I've been to the museum that sits on my front door step so that was that.

I went back to the National Portrait Gallery for their exhibit of Vanity Fair portraits. Needless to say, the combination of celebrity and photography doesn't often get topped in my book and I LOVED it. It was quite busy when I went so it wasn't a relaxing museum trip, but I liked it so much I may even go back... the only thing that's standing in my way is the 8 quid entry fee. Argh.

Other random things
I went up to Hampstead Heath with Sherry last Sunday which I absolutely loved. As we know, I really enjoy walking around the parks in London in order to get the feeling of being outside of the city. Well, the others pale in comparison to the heath on this count - it's basically a forest! And it has swimming ponds so in the summer when/if it's warm, I can go up and sun myself. Or study/swim. So I really enjoyed that.

I've seen a couple of movies lately:
Definitely, Maybe: as expected, shit. But Ryan Reynolds is hot so it was totally worth it.
My Blueberry Nights: Really interesting. A non-Hollywood esque film with an interesting use of silence. You forget how much a difference music makes in a film until one really doesn't use it much. Also, Jude Law = lovely!

The AU Ball
We had the AU Colours Ball on Wednesday so all the ruggers got all dolled up and went out. SO much fun. Allison and I went over to Katy's beforehand to get ready there with her and Martin. It was nice to have other people around whilst getting ready - those things are always nerve wracking because you don't know what others are wearing, etc... so it was nice to have company. And lots of baaanter!

The ball itself was held at the Grange City Hotel right next to Tower Bridge, which was lovely. The food was mediocre. The wine was free (winner), so you can only imagine what ensued. One of the girls did a runner before dinner was even served. Martin went outside and threw up on his own shoes - puke and rally, puke and rally. My usual shenanigans went down, I received Half Colours (any masters or general course student who plays for a year on a 1st team receives half colours, whilst any 3rd year student who plays 3 years on a 1st team receives full colours). Photos suck right now so will add some at a later date. See Facebook for full albums!

We have the last team dinner of the year on Wednesday... there may or may not be stories from that... all depends on how the memory holds up ;)

Other news
I am about to enter Week 10 of Lent Term which means, well, my classes at the LSE are basically over. I am about to enter 6-10 weeks of revision and writing period - bizarre. I have finished one of my essays - it is about political spin and if it threatens democracy. Blah blah. It's interesting. More importantly, it's finished. The next essay I will write is going to be a campaign plan for a "candidate of your choice." I think I may choose a historical figure. Toying with Benji Franklin, Eleanor Roosevelt... I dunno. Some pop stars are floating in there (Bono being one of note). Also, may try and get George Washington elected in the modern age of campaigning. Would enjoy that immensely. GDuuuub!

I head to Dublin in a week and then home! Very excited for both of those.

Hrm. Right now I am reading Living History by Hillary Clinton. I'll let you know how that pans out...

That's all for now. I promise I'll try to update more because I know you're all on the edge of your seats waiting to hear the juicy details of my thrilling life.

No comments: