Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Busy again

So this week is shaping up to be wonderfully busy, which I love.

Today I met with my group for my presentation in my campaigning class. There are 6 of us, and 4 of them are really smart and interesting (one Aussie, two Canadians, one other American), and one is, well... whatever. It is our job to design successful campaigns for both HRC and Obama through to the general (in each case, assuming they win the nomination). It's a good thought process. I spent the afternoon research VP candidates for each, and I chose Jim Webb for Clinton and Bill Nelson (FL) for Obama. A few minutes later Tim (the Aussie and probably the smartest guy I know) sent around a silly online quiz to determine who our preferred VP candidates are. Remarkably, the two that matched my choices 100% were Webb and Nelson! Crazy - who would have thought it would be so accurate?

Anyway, the campaigns look promising. I know that if Obama makes it six months without making another mistake it's all locked up, but he's unraveling at the seams right now so I'm hoping a few more prods at his ego and we'll have another Howard Dean-esque fiasco on our hands! Anyone who hasn't seen it should watch the INCREDIBLY POMPOUS speech he made about the suggestion that he would be VP for HRC. Troubling, considering how open and welcoming and "yes we can" he was in February. Poor guy knows he's on his way out ;)

At 3 we had a dissertation symposium where Bart (my advisor) and his tutees went through what they have so far for their dissertations and we got some feedback. They thought I had it pretty well wrapped up (just now needs to be started!) and thought my paper was going to be very cool. I'm looking forward to getting it rolling. Amazing how I have basically become wedded to feminist discourse theory... it would certainly shock my GW professors... though I did a lot of ideological criticism back in the day and this is certainly in the same vein, just more focused, so maybe not! Either way, I 'm confident about where my work is going and am glad that people think it will be interesting and worthwhile. (For those who don't know I am analyzing the media's portrayal of Hillary Clinton as a presidential candidate and whether the coverage reflects or undermines the traditional cultural narrative of patriarchy.)

Sad news... Jonny is benched for the game vs Eire this weekend. Very unhappy I don't get to watch my love play.

Tonight I'm grabbing some food with the girls and then going to see my friend (and teammate) Lia play Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. Should be a good night!

No comments: