Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Return to London

After a lengthy Christmas silence, I have finally returned to London! Also, I am nearly over jet lag. I hope. I managed to roll out of bed at 9am today and I don't feel like death. Victory! Break was good, home is relaxing, but there just isn't enough structure. I always tell myself I'm going to get out and about, go into town, but it's so much easier, cheaper to hang out in Winchester with Otto. I enjoyed the snow, especially as I know that's the last of it that I'll get for the year...



I've been pretty busy since I've been back! I arrived Thursday evening and met up with Andy for a drink (conveniently, he met me at the tube to carry my hideously heavy bag back to Bankside - sweet). Friday UK Dan/Dan2/Other Navy Helo Pilot Dan came to visit. We went to the Imperial War Museum where the highlights were an exhibit about the Falklands War and one called Weapons of Mass Communication, which, as you can imagine, was right up my alley. Had tons of old recruitment and propaganda posters. Very, very cool. I will likely go back and visit. The overall visit was a bit like my trip to the Air and Space museum with Dan Dolan because I got info on all the aircraft. Makes it much more interesting to have someone who knows and cares about all the details! After that we walked over the Churchill War Rooms, which I'd been to three times before but it fit with the military theme! Saturday we went to the Tower, where we spent most of the time in the armory. Also more interesting than usual because now I know the differences between a variety of kinds of guns! How useful.

Sunday I met up with Sherry and Ryan at Christopher's near Covent Garden for brunch - SO YUMMY! A bit pricey but worth it. We also had a nice view of Waterloo Bridge, and it was a sunny morning so it was lovely. After that we went for a walk down Southbank and to a Twelfth Night Festival. We got there a bit late, and a few minutes after we arrived they all took off down the road. I commented that we must be headed off to the pub, though I partially meant it in jest... well, have no fear. We ended up at the pub. It was good fun though, costumes, singing.
The Holly Man: Where are you from?
Laura: America.
The Holly Man: Will you have my babies?


After hanging out there for a bit, we went to Gabriel's Wharf and played on the various rocking horses, whales, cars, dogs, pigs, among others. Then we went for a drink at Oxo Tower - I had this ridiculous drink "Honey Cream Soda" which was made of the craziest ingredients but tasted just like cream soda - what's better than an alcoholic cream soda, you ask? Nothing, I say. We chatted there, enjoying the view for about two hours. Sadly then I had to come unpack and start the papering.
Driving!



The good news is I have an extension on my essays until 21 January because LSE's internet hub was down for a week over break (which I didn't know, but I ain't complaining). The better news... I finished my essays yesterday! The two I had finished before I left were actually pretty fucking awesome so didn't need much editing - wicked. Now, for fun. Oh, and the job hunt...

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

You look so London Chic! Totally cute - you will have to fashion me up if I can get out there to see you this year! So tell me, are ya staying in London? I miss you so much! I hope you can come to the states for my 30th birthday bash!