Monday, January 21, 2008

Lake Como

Day 2: Lake Como + Miscellaneous Adventures

We got to Lake Como by about noon on Sunday after a short train ride out of Milan. The town is cute and nice and the views are spectacular. We spent all day wandering around the town and getting into all sorts of trouble. To start, we walked around a small part of the lake and some of the town. They had some interesting miscellaneous buildings and churches:After having a stroll through Como: We had an amazing lunch of fish, risotto and calamari in a restaurant a little off the beaten path (which was good as it wasn't teeming with tourists). Then we took the FUNICULAR (which, by the way, is my new favorite word) up to the top of the hill/mountain overlooking Lake Como. Despite the fact that it was a little misty and foggy, the views were spectacular. We spent some time looking for George Clooney's house (as featured in Ocean's 12) and I pointed to a particular gray house that had a swimming pool. I swore it was the one. You'll have to wait until I get to the part about the boat trip for the end of that story!!
After we came down on the fuuniiiiicular, we walked through a small market where I picked up a cannolli and we got some almond cookies (yuuum. needless to say I ate too much this weekend). Then we decided to take a boat ride around the public part of the lake, which was freezing but also beautiful. ALSO, it turns out that I was right about Clooney's house and I was able to pick it out from a height of 2000'! My celebrity hunting skills were spectacular after a year in Los Angeles, I suppose. Some pictures from the boat ride will be posted soon. Then we began our epic adventure back to Milan. We got a train out of a different station that we had come in on because it was (seemingly) more convenient. However, we didn't have time to get a ticket so we just sort of... hopped on the train and hoped for the best. WELL, the best didn't happen. The ticket collector started coming up the train so we had to hop off at an incredibly sketchy station, the sketchiness drastically increased by the DENSE FOG that surrounded us - no joke, I couldn't see more than 20 feet in front of me. We had a cup of tea surrounded by about 10 scary old men. Then when the next train came, it was straight out of the 70s and smelled of stale tobacco and urine. Two and a half hours later, we finally pull into Milan.

To sum up the weekend:
Modes of transportation used: Metro/Tube, Train, Bus, Car, Plane, Funicular, Boat, Tram (all in 48 hours)
Ways I could have died: Fallen off the Duomo, In the bathroom at McDonald's in Como, hit by a train at sketchy station.

1 comment:

AJ said...

Do give my love to George. I'm sure he's missing me DESPRATELY.