Sunday, May 4, 2008

Wien Day 1

We made it to Vienna! I apologize if my grammar or spelling is bad, I am on a German computer and the keys are in different places! The train from Budapest was only three hours long, and we got a lovely view of the Hungarian country side whilst we read and rested our VERY tired legs! We got to our hostel at about 1 - it isnt as nice as the Yellow Submarine, but for two nights, it will certainly do! We promptly went out to lunch for authentic Austrian food (Weiner schnitzel and fries of course) at a place called Centimeter. Good, huge portions, cheap.

We wandered through the Museum Quarter, and to the Hofburg Palace (the winter residence of the Imperial family) to see the Sissi museum. For all of those who dont already know, Sissi was the Empress Elisabeth of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, consort to Franz Joseph for much of the 19th century. We named our first dog, Sissy, after her. Marina was excited to learn what all the fuss was about and I was keen to refresh my memory of someone who clearly made an impression on my eight-year old-self! To be honest, despite the fact that she seemed a bit odd, I can definitely see why I loved her when I was young. Independent, moody, a little glamorous, shrouded in legend. Just my type of girl!

As its Sunday, most everything else was shut by the time we finished with Sissi, so we have been walking around Vienna taking it all in. We walked by the Votive Church and St. Stephen's Cathedral. We are going to go back to explore the inside a little more (its a bit rude to tour whilst mass was going on). Otherwise, there are a lot of people and market-like goings on in Vienna today and we are busy taking it all in. Tomorrow we want to go to Mozart and Beethoven residences, a couple of museums, a market, and a couple other sites. If we have time on Tuesday morning (and if its sunny), we will head to Schonbrunn Palace to get some more of Sissi!

No comments: