Monday, May 19, 2008

Cricket devirginization

Yesterday I had my first cricket experience at Lords, which is the "Home of Cricket" and basically a religious mecca for Andy and his father. As cricket is a cousin to baseball, we all figured it'd be a good day out. We saw Day 4 of the test match between England and New Zealand. To be honest, I couldn't really tell you much of what happened during the actual match, because the whole game is really lost on me! What I did learn, however, is THEORETICALLY, nothing can happen all game. They can bowl (pitch) the ball, and even if the batsman (batter) hits it, he doesn't get penalized unless he gets thrown out, the ball gets caught or the stumps get knocked over (there's no such thing as a strikeout, etc). So one guy can literally bat all day with nothing. I guess it's kind of like hitting a foul ball all day. Weird. Anyway...

Cait and I met up with Andy at about 10am yesterday. The seats that Andy chooses are only available to members (Marylebone Cricket Club) and their guests, so they're quite good. Lords only seats about 30,000 so it's a small ground (aka stadium, though they hate that I call it that). Rich and Anna met up with us around 11, which is when the match actually started. There was a picnic (set up by Andy), wine, champagne (which Andy managed to get all over himself, classic) and Pimms (yummy and dangerous). I learned a bit about the game, enjoyed the sunshine and the company. I'm not convinced about cricket though. Baseball really is much better, there's a better pace to the game. However, cricket is so charmingly English with its lunch and tea breaks, and a drinks break every hour! And Andy seems to love it, which is quite cute. I told him I'd give it a few more chances before I reach my final verdict, as I think I'll have tickets to a few other matches throughout the summer.
Andy covered in champers

Drunk before noon!

Pimms...mmmm

Cait and I taking the match very seriously through our free paper binoculars

Us late in the afternoon...3 o'clock haze?

No comments: