Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Edinburgh

Sorry for the delay, it took me ages to get my photos uploaded from my camera and there's no reason to tell a story about a trip if I can't provide you with some visual stimulus as I'm sure my verbal recounting will be lackluster at best...

Day 1

We get up SO early (not really. Like 5:30am) to get to Heathrow for a 9am flight. Everything went without a hitch, etc, and we arrived in Edinburgh a little past 10, and at the hotel at about 11. I drag Andy around downtown Edinburgh for a couple of hours. It is a beautiful city. I had heard that before but the architecture is great and the city is just formed around massive green spaces, to which we all know I am quite partial. We walked up to the castle and down the Royal Mile (which is the length of a Scottish mile, approximately 1.1 miles), to Holyrood Castle, which is the Queen's residence in Edinburgh. We didn't actually go in anywhere because we needed time to get to the rugby. We walked to Murrayfield (the rugby pitch) and the seats were absurdly good (well done Andy). The match, however, was disappointing. Scotland couldn't manage to hold onto the ball and France didn't suck, so Scotland lost. Good fun. We went to the Hard Rock for dinner. I drank myself silly. The later sporting defeat will not be mentioned.

Day 2

Despite being half Scottish, Andy had never climbed Arthur's Seat, which is essentially a mini-mountain in a park in the middle of Edinburgh. We had a perfect day for it, despite it being a little bit cold. I'm sorry for the lack of pictures but you're going to have to trust me that the view was fantastic. As soon as my computer is more reliably not shit, I will post lots of pictures.

Love the Scots!

No comments: